Vampire Barbies & Hot Angels

Well, it's certainly been a while since I blogged or posted. Over two years if I'm right, and since I've been finding myself on tv.com quite a bit recently (reading blogs by old members elsewhere, the odd one from the small few who still write), I decided to post a new entry myself. I don't know if anyone who used to post there is still around, and really I don't blame them after CNET horrifically raped (No other word describes it better) the site. So, I have decided to follow suit to another old member of the site(view his blog here), and move elsewhere.

For those of you who don't usually read my blogs, just call me Panda (people used to call me that, they don't anymore, but it seems to work here!). I love reviewing, and blogs (as dated as they are now) are a great way to do that. I go by pandacharmed on tv.com (as I was obsessed with it at the time I signed up), this name gives me a bit more room! Let's begin:

2010-2011 Season

Favourites:

The Vampire Diaries Season 2
Nina Dobrev as 'Elena'
After getting into this show after I started my summer break from college and before I started working, I found myself falling prey to its addictive nature. The show, it must be said, is slightly crazy at times, but that really is what makes the show great. Season 2 took the show to a whole new level, with both stories and characters. Caroline, for example, went from a complete waste of space, to a fan favourite heroine, and that doesn't happen often. Nina Dobrev absolutely killed it as Katherine and Elena respectively. Taking in two roles must be a huge challenge, and she handled it with style, making Katherine one of the greatest characters in the show. 'Diaries still remains one of the few shows out there that takes chances, killing off characters at a moment's notice; something that other shows are scared to do. It's weekly cliffhangers are something a lot of shows are missing too. It's definitely my favourite show on air at the moment, and certainly the best of the TV season.
Best Episode: The Sun Also Rises. A fantastic conclusion to the ritual element of the season 2 story, and with some shocks along the way. Jenna's death was a long time coming, but it was still said to see it play out.
Best Character: Caroline. From a dull & vacuous girl, to an admirable hero. 'Vampire Barbie' certainly turned things around.

Supernatural Season 6
Supernatual Season 6 cast
This went from a show I followed half heartedly since its inception, to one of my weekly TV highlights. Somehow the show managed to continue on quite well from its amazing fifth season, continuing on what should have been the end of the show (as it was originally envisioned). The show grew season to season, I'm glad it's continuing to do so, while also giving characters the proper time to develop at a natural pace. It also manages to do it's comedic episodes in a way that should make other shows weep.
Best Episode: The Man Who Would Be King. This episode gave us the long awaited insight into Castiel's plan, while also making sure we know why he is doing what he's doing. Phenomenal.
Best Character: Castiel. He's pretty hot too!

Pretty Little Liars Season 1
The titular liars
What an unexpected surprise. I really did not expect to like this show, firstly because it's on ABC Family, so I assumed it would be a pile of shit. It kind of is, but it's also one of the most entertaining shows around. The mystery is a little convoluted, and at times ridiculous, but it keeps me coming back, so I guess itdoes its job. I'm currently glued to it's second season, which has managed to be just as addictive as the first.
Best Episode: Keep Your Friends Close. Gave us a great cliffhanger before the first break in it's run.
Best Character: Hanna

Life Unexpected Seasons 1 & 2
Cate and Lux
This show was a lovely delight and, like the aforementioned Pretty Little Liars, a pleasant surprise. The show had a lot of elements that other shows were missing. It was completely charming and the family element was something that almost all the other CW shows (And on most other network shows for that matter) seem to be forgetting. Yes, it did seem to get watered down a bit in the second season, it was still present and the show still retained most of its appeal. I just wish that it caught on enough with viewers to still be around next season.It managed to deal with both light hearted drama and heavy drama (the abuse plot in season 2), very well. The ending definitely showed the marks of a rushed one, but it was still satisfying enough not to spoil the show for me. I will definitely miss it. God it was nice to see Shiri Appelby & Emma Caulfield again!
Best Episode: Homecoming Crashed was very dramatic, and showed just how much the show was capable of dealing with.
Best Character: Lux. It was great to see a lead character show that they were capable of mistakes. She really seemed like a girl who had been through a lot in her life. Britt Robertson was one of the greatest discoveries of the past season.

Disappointments:

Desperate Housewives Season 7
Eva Longoria as 'Gabrielle Solis'
Though the past 2 seasons have been an improvement, the show is nowhere near as good as it was in its first 3 seasons, which is why I'd classify it a disappointment. It's a shame really. Maybe the announcement of the show ending will give the show a kick up the ass. Storylines continued to repeat themselves. The Tom and Lynette break-up was a LONG time coming, it should have happened sooner if you ask me. One thing I will give the writers kudos for is bringing a satisfying end to Paul Young's plot, which dragged on up to this season. Somehow they managed to gain my sympathy for a character who I never thought would ever deserve it.Gaby's sexual abuse plot came out of nowhere, even though I know it was briefly alluded to in the first season. That being said, it was brilliantly acted by Eva Longoria, and was entertaining enough.
Best Episode: And Lots of Security. If only for the conclusion to Paul Young's plot.
Best Character: Renee. She was essentially Wilhelmina 2, but she's Vanessa Williams, how can you not like her?!


Glee Season 2

,m
In its sophomore season, Glee seemed to lose a lot of what I loved about the show in the first place. The characters weren’t as likeable as they were before and the writing became even cheesier (and not in a good way). And I’m sad to say, it fell apart towards the end. The music itself was far less enjoyable too, with only a few memorable numbers in there. The comedic element, however, was pretty much on par. The one-liners and hilarious moments were still there, Brittany in particular was one to watch. I hope that the third season can bring back a little more of what was missing during its second.
Best Episode: Britney/ Brittany. As a huge fan of Ms Spears, I was rather excited for this. The songs were all great, and paid great tribute to her. And seeing the woman herself was a nice bonus.
Best Character: Hard to pick one I actually liked. I always root for Rachel though. No matter how annoying she is!

Gossip Girl Season 4
Blair & Serena
I don't know what happened to this show, but it lost its spark. I really have NO clue how it will end up regaining it in time to save itself. Almost all of the characters are completely unlikeable with little redeemable traits, most of them coming across as spoiled brats. I will probably wait to watch this after the TV season has finished and I have more time next year, but I will most likely watch it again.
Best Episode: Easy J
Best Character: Jenny. Even though her character was written into the ground, there was a lot more that the show could have done with her, but decided to stick with its excruciatingly boring characters like Nate.

Other Shows:

Chuck
I finally got into this show last winter and fell in love. I will hopefully post a more in depth review at some point.

America's Next Top Model
I still follow this show, though not as religiously as before. I still don't miss an episode. I really liked the upgrade to a more 'high fashion' show for the past year, or at least as close to high fashion Tyra Banks can get. The All-Star cycle seems like a lot of fun, so I'm really looking forward to that.

90210
Improves so much during season 2 and managed to keep it together for the third. I'll be back to it again.

2011-2012 Season

This season is showing a LOT of promise. I will most definitely be tuning into Ringer (Sarah Michelle Gellar is back. I squealed inside when I typed those words!), and The Secret Circle. So long as it's as addictive as The Vampire Diaries is, I'm there. Britt Robertson is another plus this show has, and a nice was of easing the death of Life Unexpected. It'll be nice to see witches in the spotlight again. I miss Charmed =(

OK, if you've actually read this, only 1 or 2 probably have, thank you! I will be posting new more in depth reviews here in the near future. Please feel free to comment, I'd love to hear from any readers out there! Have a good one!

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, looks pretty nifty. It feels ridiculously 2004 to write blogs, but at the same time it's a great way to put your voice out there, regardless of how many folks read it.

    Only watch a couple of shows that you reviewed, but mostly agreed entirely about DH and Glee (except I was way harsher on the latter when I reviewed it a while back).

    And echoing the Ringer anticipation. Can't wait for that show to premiere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Life Unexpected. At the music festival, Emma's comment about Cate looking like the girl from Roswell was hilarious. The ending was rushed, but I thought the entire second season was super entertaining (and, possibly, one of my favourite tv seasons of the year). The best show the CW has seen since they canned Veronica Mars.

    Agree on DH, and Glee. Both had horrid years (but at least Housewives is finally ending).

    Gossip Girl was very hit and miss for me. I love Serena (and Blake Lively) and I'm glad that the character seems to be heading in the right direction (she landed herself a job because of her own knowledge, wants to find herself, etc.). On the other hand, Blair is constantly voicing her (rather true) opinion about Chuck weakening her as a person...before continually going back to him, which is insane. If this were Blair looking on at another relationship, she would clearly have some choice words for the woman involved. I want to see Blair sort herself out, ditch Chuck, and back a 'powerful woman', but get there with an actual plan...she had spent most of the season in love with that idea, but hasn't actually done anything to get there. I hate everyone else, though (and only watch the show for Blair/Serena, and their relationship at this point). Katie Cassidy was fun as Juliet, and Michelle Trachtenberg should come back as Georgina (Georgina is always welcome, IMO, love her too).

    Ringer is going to rock. SMG!

    Any thoughts on Grey's Anatomy?

    Liking the blog, very bright. :D

    -tvfan332.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate it =)

    maxpower03: I do kinda feel like a 45 year old trying to be young by making one, but there's nowhere else to post these kind of things!

    tvfan: I loved that part, I also loved when they referenced her weird hard 'g' thing. She did that in Roswell too, it always sounded so funny! The thing about Blair is she's such a bad example to follow. For someone who claims to be full of ambition and being independent, she really is quite bit weak. Gerogina should be a series regular if you ask me, much more entertaining than half of them, at least she's an honest brat! I gave up on Grey's during season 6, got so dull. I am considering going back to it at some point though.

    ReplyDelete