Once Upon a Time 1.04 'The Price of Gold'

Some part of me feels a little cheated. Don’t get me wrong, this was still another fabulous episode, but I’m not sure how I feel about the blatant manipulation of one of my favourite stories, Cinderella. There was still a lot to love about this episode, and I’m not worried about whether or not this series can stay at the top of my list of favourite shows this season.

In ‘The Price of Gold’ Emma is asked by Mr Gold to help him track down a missing local girl, Ashley. Meanwhile, Cinderella makes a deal with Rumpelstilskin to escape her family, but has to make a huge sacrifice in the process.

So far, all of the fairytales have retained the charm that they originally had, even when they were changed quite a bit; see ‘Snow White’. For some reason, the way this was approached was rather strange, and altered the story a little too much for my liking. I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it at the same time; particularly seeing everyone continue to get further and further involved in deals with Mr Gold, I’m very curious about where that will all end up.

As far as our characters go, I’m still really loving Regina/The Evil Queen’s involvement in the series. Every episode seems to build on the sinister persona she possesses. I really loved the big revelation of her secret tryst with the Sherriff too and I’m really interested to see how this will affect Emma when she becomes a Deputy. While we're on the subject, I really liked Emma's stories this week. The series is definitely doing a great job of what I'm assuming is painting her as a heroine, saving all of these characters every week.

It may seem like I was being a bit too negative about this one in comparison with the others, but I actually liked it a lot, and some of the alterations were actually genius and it tied in beautifully with Emma’s guilt at having given Henry up 10 years ago, but I’d like the characters closer their original source material counterparts a little more for it to work.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment