Pretty Little Liars 2.25 'unmAsked'

There was a lot riding on this. 46 episodes worth of confusing plot twists, social carnage and mysterious blackmail requests to be exact. Was it everything it should have been? No. Was it just as entertaining as the rest of the season? Yes. Let’s run all of this down shall we... [MAJOR GIGANTIC SPOILERS. IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THIS EPISODE OR YOU PLAN ON GETTING INTO THIS SHOW AT SOME POINT THEN **** OFF!]

In ‘UnmAsked’, Aria, Hannah, Spencer and Emily finally decide to stop A before he/she continues to ruin their lives, when they’re invited to a masquerade ball. But when they discover who’s behind it all, one girl’s life is put in danger.

Mona is A. It doesn’t feel right to be saying that. It would feel right if I was saying “In the books, Mona is A, but in the TV series it’s someone else.” but I can’t say that anymore. Despite it being a major let-down, I’m glad that the culprit was someone who made sense. I always kept an eye on her, especially knowing how the books turned out. She was always around when the texts were flying in, always lurking about when something major went down, hell she even talks like A. I’m glad that it held some bit of consistency in that regard, but in reality, I’m a little pissed. Couldn’t it have been someone unexpected? I had my doubts about so many people’s true intentions during the first 20 minutes, literally running each scenario over in my head, but kept coming up blank. The only thing I knew for certain was that it wasn’t Mona. Oh well, at least it was a surprise, I guess? What the episode did so well though was building up the tension before the shocking reveal, my heart was literally pounding. Very few TV series do that to me these days. 

Again, the writers do have a talent for piling the mysteries up. Not only is Mona not the only person behind the whole plot to ruin the Liars lives, but there’s a whole group of them. From what I could see, that group was Jenna, Lucas and the “Black Swan”, whose identity is part of next season’s enigma. On top of that, it seems that our trademark end of episode clips of Mona dressed in black will be replaced by this woman in red (it may not be a woman, I’m just guessing here). As annoying as it is to still be questioning everything, I’m more excited than ever to see what direction the series could head in next.

Ever since Maya went missing, I was pretty certain that the writers were setting her up to be the next mystery, but I was still unsure if she would stay missing, or she’d follow in Ali’s footsteps. Now we have our answer, and that answer is even more questions. The scene of Emily arriving home was totally devastating though, and just proved how far Shay Mitchell has come as an actress since this show started. Nice touch as well playing Orelia’s Suggestion, the same track playing when Ali’s body was found in the pilot. I think this mystery will have a lot more power than Ali’s in a way, since Maya isn’t as devious and conniving as Ali was, she had a lot more heart, even if she was a biotch to Em over the past few weeks.

There was a lot of other a-typical (see what I did there?) teen drama going on in the sidelines, as always. Ezra finally took his relationship with Aria public. I gotta say, I’m so over those two, but I did appreciate the sweetness of their first kiss in front of everyone. Toby and Spencer are back together again, now that he knows Mona was behind their separation. Again, this is all a little irrelevant when placed alongside everything else, but it was still sweet.

There’s still so much to digest, and I think I’ll be mulling this episode over repeatedly until June, but I think I’m happy with it, even if I’m frustrated about having the wool pulled over my eyes again. Ugh, I’m way too addicted to this shit.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment