Ringer 1.15 'P.S. You're an Idiot'

Here we’ve got an episode that exhibits a number of issues that Ringer just can’t seem to shake. Major characters are running around brainlessly, plots that should long be over with are still around causing endless exposition that is both unnecessary and embarrassing, and most importantly, a star whose talent is being wasted on second rate writing that should have been nipped in the bud long ago. What’s keeping me from tuning out is that modicum of curiosity I have left to see where this whole thing is headed, but I’m starting to doubt that we’ll ever really find out.

Bridget discovers something disturbing about Andrew's business in 'P.S. You're an Idiot'. When Juliet loses control, Catherine steps in to set things right with Mr Carpenter, but is she being honest about her role in Tessa's attack?

There were a number of big twists this week that were both believable, and downright stupid. Firstly, the rape plot (should really be called the fake-rape and con plot) seems to have finally fizzled out in a spectacular flurry of wasted potential (Jason Dohring deserved better) and annoying whining (from Juliet herself). What made it somewhat plausible was the idea of Catherine cheating Carpenter in a ploy to stop the truth getting out; she’s clearly devious and cunning enough to pull it off and that note was hilarious. Obviously, I’m not naive enough to think this is the last we’ll see of him; I have a theory he’ll come back and shoot Catherine for conning him in a few weeks.

Andrew’s confession is something I just don’t buy. This whole time we’ve learned how caring and sensitive a man he is under all that money and power. I honestly can’t fathom how the writers will make sense of this in next week’s episode. I guess the whole thing was yet another excuse to suck the show dry of every conceivable twist they can, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

If you had read some of my past reviews, you’ll know that one of the best things about the more recent instalments is Siobhan having returned to New York. Sadly, she’s returned to Paris, for some unknown reason, so a lot of her scenes are taken up by overseas phone calls to Henry. You gotta love that she’s having twins though; “I’m two for two”. Indeed, Henry. With her second relocation I feel like a lot of the advancement of Bridget’s investigation into her sister’s disappearance will be lost. In a way, her return to New York signified a turning point in the series; that things were finally heating up and now it seems to have been a case of one step forward, two steps back. Along with that, her motives are still puzzling at best. An episode dedicated to her entirely might set things right, but I won’t hold my breath.

Thankfully, the theme of identity carried over from last week’s infinitely more satisfying episode as Andrew’s proposal triggered Bridget’s conflict over whether or not to reveal her true identity to those around her. Her growing bond with Andrew has been one of the things that the writers have gotten right over the course of this season, and this turn of events is probably exactly the path it needed to take. If only Andrew didn’t need to undergo a sudden character shift into a narrow-minded ass for it to work.

The chances of both the show’s survival and for it to maintain some sort of creative overhaul are slim to none, and I sort of feel like I haven’t yet been rewarded for sticking this out for so long, especially given how positive I’ve been in the past. I’m still having fun but I just wish I didn’t have to check my intelligence at the door.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment