Charmed 6.04 'The Power of Three Blondes'

Even the idea of an episode like this is grounds for abuse towards what was left of the Charmed writing staff at this stage. It’s crude, silly, trashy and not even remotely close to the show this started out as. But, I can’t help but get sucked in. I know it’s ridiculous, but it’s just so much fun. God help me.

In ‘The Power of Three Blondes’, three evil witches attempt to take over the Charmed Ones’ identities. When Phoebe, Piper and Paige find out they’ve been replaced by imposters, they try to convince those around them who they really are.

There’s so much to negate this episode for, but I feel like there’s a lot to love about it, from a superficial view point. I love the opening scene, where you know that something is clearly up with the sisters acting a little ditzier than usual (well, yeah, it’s only really weird in Piper’s case). The blonde stereotype is thrust in our faces every two seconds, with jibe after jibe ("Check out that dye job"), but it all works so well. Jenny McCarthy's casting was a stroke of genius and that short excerpt in the Book of Shadows is kind of hysterical, too (“Not worth vanquishing”).

The Stillmans are sort of this show’s equivalent to the Trio in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, foes that don’t really pose a threat, more a nuisance to the sisters, but when they’re ignored things can get from bad to worse, or dumb to dummer as the case may be. The idea of villains like them appearing in this show falls apart when you take it in context with some of the previous enemies the sisters have faced, but as stand-alone adversaries they work nicely.

One thing that I’ve always liked about this episode is the focus being turned back onto the power of three. I’ve talked about it before, but I always love when episodes take the time to use the strength of the sisters’ bond in saving the day, considering its importance in this show’s foundations. Their bond is what makes them so strong and the fact that the girls were petty and only after power was their downfall, breaking the power of three apart, similar to the events of ‘Power Outage’.

There’s a lot of disposability here, though. Paige’s job of the week schtick is starting to get tired already, but I enjoyed the use of the gremlins in saving the day. I’m not a huge fan of these creatures that have taken over the Charmed universe, but used in moderation, and they can reach a tolerable level. Phoebe and Jason are as annoying as ever, and that restaurant scene is pretty embarrassing, though I quite enjoyed Phoebe’s quickie punch.

It’s outlandish and stupid, but ‘Power of Three Blondes’ is easily one of the funniest episodes of Charmed’s later years, even if it’s a far cry from the show it used to be.

7/10

5 comments:

  1. Haha although Max hated this, I told you that I think it's genius. I've just always found it utterly hilarious in that trashy, disposable manner you mentioned. Really when I think of Comedic Charmed that was done well, only 3 episodes come to mind: Chick Flick, Sense And Sense Ability, and The Power Of Three Blondes.
    Yes Blondes might not be as well-written and intelligent as the first two, but it's undoubtedly always entertained me and for that I always have good memories of it! Plus, it has a nice focus on the sisterhood bond and some fun action set-pieces to boot (which Charmed never had enough of).
    p.s. I even enjoyed the naughty jokes in this one and I adore the "not worth vanquishing" line.
    Happy to have your reviews back Panda as I love reading your thoughts and Max's on a show that was always a big part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadim!

      I think Charmed can do trashy and disposable quite well, but it can do it badly as well, (see Lucky Charmed and Nymphs)

      Delete
  2. Yay! You're back! And am I reading way too much into your new blog header if I send a huge congratulations your way?

    Back on subject: ugh, this poop. You know how much I dislike it, but reading your review did bring to mind two moments that weren't... entirely... hideous. Like the aforementioned BOS page, as well as Phoebe creeping up to the table with her face clumsily covered by the menu. Man, I'm cracking up just thinking of that.

    Again, really great to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I didn't cop on to the appropriateness of the banner until AFTER I had it up! And thanks =) though your congratulations might be a little pre-mature, but I'm staying positive about that right now!

      I loved that part with the menu, and her moment with the old couple of especially "Grgh, SLUT!"

      Delete
  3. Doesn't she hide behind a plant or something, too? Or creep along with it in front of her face like a mental patient? Gah, it's been so long I can't remember.

    And good luck with everything, too. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete