Creature Feature: Charmed Season 5, An Overview

While it’s easy to say that Charmed’s downslide on quality began in this season, I don’t think it’s fair to say this season is bad. In fact, it’s actually a lot more fun than other people make it out to be. It was an obvious attempt to make things a lot less serious than they had been during the fourth season, and make things a lot lighter, though a lot of the time this attempt resulted in some horrific episodes, it sometimes resulted in pure gold. Season 5 wasn’t the most story heavy season, but a few pivotal things occurred; Cole is vanquished by Phoebe; Piper gives birth to her son; and Paige quits her job as a social worker to become a full-time witch.

Last season was easily the darkest season in the shows history not just because of Prue’s death, but also because of the heavy arc that the season ended with. It’s no surprise that the show would want to have a bit more fun with everything, given the drama the enveloped the past year. It’s immediately evident from the first few minutes of this season just how drastically different things have become, even the show itself seems to LOOK brighter. Unfortunately it seems to give the show a much cheaper looking quality to it. I’m a firm believer that any series can’t really go from dark to light. Once you’ve started down that road, it can be very difficult to go back the other way, especially to this extent. While it worked in some instances, this new feel to the series was a bit of a mistake. It would be easy to simply blame Brad Kern for a lot of this, but to be honest I think Network meddling had a lot to do with it. Not just because of it's shoddy treatment of the show, but due to their messed up perception of what the viewers wanted. Thankfully, the first half of the season had to keep some level of seriousness, if only for the sake of Cole's arc.


The first half of the season focuses on Cole and his desperate attempts to win Phoebe back. For some reason the moment he steps back into the picture, he is immediately treated like total shit. Not one attempt is made to allow him to explain that everything that had happened was NOT HIS FAULT. One can understand Phoebe’s fear of his demonic powers, but her treatment of him a lot of the time is just plain unfair. His story is given quite a strange send-off during Centennial Charmed, and it’s one that I really felt could have worked a lot better had it been under different circumstances.

The majority of the season also focuses on Piper’s pregnancy. Bringing a child into any series can be a very bad thing, but in Charmed’s case, the majority of the time it actually worked. Sometimes the whole kid thing can start to seriously get in the way, but here he seemed to gel into the stories a lot better than I thought he would. Though things did feel a little lost after Wyatt’s birth, without any major ongoing story to latch itself onto, it did turn out one or two great episodes.


Piper spends most of her time dealing with the implications of being a pregnant witch this season (hiccuping orbs, fireworks). I’ve always felt, though, that the show cheated its way out of Piper’s vulnerability by making her invincible for the duration of her pregnancy. I do understand that Wyatt was a powerful child, but protecting her from all the attacks was just a cheap way of avoiding writing her out of major demon fights, and made things way too easy, which they were already starting to become.

Paige’s decision to quit her job as a social worker is one that always baffled me. Yes, she did want to give herself a lot more time to focus on her witchly duties, but quitting her job just seemed very unnecessary. Prue could handle it while she had a job, so her leaving work was a weird thing to do. That being said, the show had a lot of fun with her super-witch kick, and it’s a side of Paige that I always liked; her immediate attraction to magic.


This is the first season when I think my dislike for Phoebe actually started. I think the main issue is she lost her edge. Naturally this had to happen since she couldn’t be the baby sister any more, that role had to go to Paige. Unfortunately it worked to the detriment of her character, making her lose a lot of her appeal. Once Cole disappeared she wasn’t as annoying as she was in the beginning, but she was far from the best character, though in some cases during season 7 she actually is. Though this is the first season where she ended up filling the role of the 'Ditz', particularly towards the end of the season.

A lot of episodes during the fifth season are devoted to introducing a pile of new magical creatures into the Charmed ‘verse. While some of the ideas they had could have been amazing, they ultimately ended up being complete disasters. I think the hatred for these episodes and magical creatures is almost unanimous among fans, but for some reason no attempt was made to remove them from the series at all and they returned over and over again.


While it had its major flaws, Season 5 isn’t completely terrible; it's actually quite good and had a few great moments thrown in here and there. Sadly though, it’s where Charmed started to show its cracks.

Best Episode(s): 'A Witch in Time', 'Cat House' and 'Sense and Sense Ability' all stand out.

Worst Episode: 'Lucky Charmed' is one of Charmed's biggest disasters.

Best Character: Piper, I enjoyed watching her become a mother.

Worst Character: Phoebe, if solely due to her complete lack of understanding for Cole. 

6 comments:

  1. Loved your review. You're so right. 5 isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Season 8 is an example of a light season done BADLY. This season is light but well done I think except for the few worst episodes of all time :P But the season has a nice homey feel throughout which I always enjoyed.

    One more thing;
    It's funny, I always thought that the show looked LESS cheap this season. I think its pretty well documented that they got a budget increase in 5 right? It feels like the effects are better as well as the production design etc... I could be wrong but I was always under that impression. I felt the show looked like it had a much higher budget this year! Esp with the on-location shooting in the premier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading!

    When I say it looked cheaper, I was more referring to the fact that it lost the cinematic look that it developed during the fourth season. With regards to special effects etc that's all on point during this season. As for the increased budget, I think that was given at the start of season 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great overview! I'm really excited for these reviews.

    I actually agree that season five gets a bad wrap from people, since I actually enjoyed it a lot during my recent re-watch. But I also agree with your point about Phoebe. She becomes entirely insufferable this year, especially towards the back-end with Jason. Ugh.

    Unlike you, I actually peg Wyatt's birth as the moment where the show begins to spiral downhill. I never liked a lot of the Wyatt-related drama and the stories it spun off (Chris, Future Wyatt, overuse of Leo, magic school, etc.), and his arrival marked that major change in the three sisters, too. They became people I didn't recognize anymore.

    But, yeah, can't wait to start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, forgot to mention how much I agree with your comment about Paige quitting her job. It was like the writers had no idea what to do with her anymore. Plus it was entirely illogical: Paige wants to help people, so quits her job as a social worker (??). Then she just spends the rest of the season whining about not having a "purpose" anymore. Get a damn job, crone! Jesus!

    Gah. Ranted there for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, god when I say I liked some of the Wyatt episodes, I meant this season with stuff like 'Baby's First Demon', the whole Chris/Leo and Piper slip debacle is pretty strange to put it lightly, and I'll be elaborating on that in my season 6 posts. I agree 100% with you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm back to agreeing with you a lot more than I did the previous season, Panda - very good points all the way around. I especially like your title - it fits the season perfectly.

    Personally I thought that Paige became the ditz during this season rather than Phoebe, who was turning into Freebie/PhoeME. And I definitely didn't like the changes in the sisters' personalities this season. Middle child turning into Oldest; Baby turning into Middle Child; and Only Child turning into Baby very simply did not work!

    Here's my season review:

    SEASON FIVE: Meeting the rest of the Magical Community

    Along with S4, this one was one of my least favorites until S6, 7 & 8 came along. Now it's just mediocre.

    S4 was much too dark; S5 was much too light. Funny, but during S4, a lot of fans were writing on the online message boards that we should get a chance to meet other peoples in the magical world. I guess this proves to watch out what you wish for--you may get it!! I liked all the fairy tales and everything better than the darkness of S4, but not by much.

    By far, the best part of the season was Wyatt, both while Piper was carrying him (and we thought she was Melinda, who he should've been, and he *definitely* should not have had a prophecy of his own; one that no one had even heard about until then) and his birth and his first demon. Remembering that unicorn as the sign of purity still hurts when I think what they did to his character in S6.

    This season includes two of my favorite eppis--"Cat House" (although I want to kill Kern for the way he fired Shannen, so she ended up not allowing scenes of Prue to be shown!!!) and "Sense & Sense Ability"--that *had* to be the funniest episode ever!!

    But I hate what they did to Cole! It's almost as if they were trying to make us hate his character so we wouldn't mind when they got rid of him in the 100th eppi--and that that--so he could be part of that eppi--was the only reason for keeping him around. Oh, did THAT backfire! That eppi just made me (and a lot of others) miss Cole and abhor Phoebe!

    This season was when Piper began to excessively whine to the point where you wanted her to shut up, Phoebe become Freebie/PhoeME and Paige was turned into a dumb Valley Girl rather than the woman who went to college and should've been a social worker.

    The deterioration of their characters from potential whitelighters to selfish bitches had begun!

    ReplyDelete