Mid-Season Assessment 2011: Vol. 2

Continuing on from the previous instalment, Vol.2 of my Mid-Season Assessment will continue to look at all my favourite shows this season, and what has become of them. Vol. 2 includes: ‘The Walking Dead’, ‘Ringer’ and ‘Supernatural’.

The Walking Dead Season 2
Episodes: 2.01-07
Starring: Andrew Lincoln, Joe Berthnal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Laurie Holden, Jeffrey DeMunn, Steven Yeun, Chandler Riggs, Norman Reedus
So far, the Walking Dead has yet to entice me into really falling for it. One of its main issues is it never really seems to know what it’s going for. One minute it’s this gory, campy mess then it changes into something subtle and character driven. One thing I can never fault it for though, it has the horror imagery down, and the zombies have never been scarier. Unfortunately, it seems to be dragging out every last bit of story it has left, and it’s starting to majorly affect my interest, but I think I’ll stick with it, especially given the horrifically intense closing scene to the mid-season finale which ended up making sense of the tedious Sophia search.

Best Episode: 2.01 'What Lies Ahead' - Though the following episodes start to drag, the 90 minute premiere was quite fantastic. If the series manages to re-create this level of quality again this season, then I’ll re-evaluate my stance. 'Pretty Much Dead Already' comes close if only for the astounding finish it had.

6.5/10

Ringer Season 1
Episodes: 1.01-1.10
Starring: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Kristopher Polaha, Ioan Gruffudd, Nestor Cabonell, Mike Colter
Ringer never quite lived up to the high expectations set by the legions of Sarah Michelle Gellar fans who were incredibly excited to see her finally return to television. The show frequently missed the mark during its first 10 episodes, but I always found myself quite entertained among the wreckage. The script doesn’t lend Gellar the best material to showcase her talents like she did during her 7 year stint on ‘Buffy’, but the series is superbly cast, and even the guest stars leave me quite content. A lot about the story is ridiculous, and so far it hasn’t really embraced that campy side of itself full on, but the (almost) success of the mid-season finale gives me hope that the second part of the season* will leave its first part in the dust. There’s a lot to love about this show though, particularly the whole Siobhan/Andrew romance which has been tackled masterfully. If it ditches the completely irrelevant Juliet plots, and runs with its crazy side, there’s potential for a pretty great soap here.

Best Episode: 1.10 ‘That’s What You Get for Trying to Kill Me’- A great (ish) finale that tied up some of the stories that had filled the first part of the season. It also featured some of the ridiculousness that I have wanted it to from the beginning.

7.5/10

*Ratings are getting worse, so it looks as if this season will be all we get to see of ‘Ringer’.

Supernatural Season 7
Episodes: 7.01-10
Starring: Jared Padelecki, Jensen Ackles
Another poster pointed something out to me that really sums up my relationship with WB vet drama Supernatural. Despite its brilliant writing, almost always stellar performances and great dark humour, it’s always been one of those shows that I’ve never really invested myself in. Hell, I even stopped watching it half way through season 4, and didn’t catch up until the fifth had completed airing. Somehow, though, I’ve always come back to it and while season 7 hasn’t been the powerhouse that its fifth season was, it has improved on the slightly disappointing cross-bridge that was its sixth season and I'm finding my attachment to it growing as the season progresses. I’m still missing Cas like crazy, and sometimes this season had a tendency to get a little too light-hearted but on the whole it’s proving that Supernatural will do everything in its power to hide its age. Though I’ve loved the Leviathon story thus far, one of my major issues is the idea of really isolating the two brothers, with Cas gone and Bobby’s hold on earth left rather precarious after the fall finale, it’s looking like a pretty lonely year for the Winchesters.

Best Episode: 7.01 'Meet the New Boss' - There’s been a number of brilliant episodes this season, but the season premiere is still the one that stands out to me. Following the fantastic cliff-hanger from the previous season, it put a fitting, yet all-too-early end to the shows greatest supporting character in true ‘Supernatural’ fashion.

8/10

7 comments:

  1. This was a very entertaining read and one I could relate to (since I don't really watch the shows in the first volume assessment)
    While I don't agree with you on Ringer as you know, it's amazing how much we're alike when it comes to Supernatural. That's exactly the way I feel about the show as you know! And you're right, I'm strangely growing to love it more and more now. Which is quite the accompolishment for a show in it's 7th season!
    As for The Walking Dead. You're right. They really dragged stuff out but I will say I loved the finale more than the premier! My god Panda that final scene was simply one of the most epics scenes I've ever seen on TV. Really gave me goosebumps and turned an utterly annoying plot point into a brilliant one!
    Really enjoyed your mid-season assessment. You've inspired me to do one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadim =)

    That scene in TWD was amazing, you're right. It was the big moment I needed to keep watching. Hopefully it'll start picking up steam in February.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm looking forward to your mid-season posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ringer is so addictive. I'm fairly annoyed at the CW for pushing it back until the end of January. And mad at the show for bringing Amber Benson on for the worst guest spot ever. I really hope they bring her back for a flashback with Gellar.

    I like supernatural, but really haven't been compelled to watch it since Katie Cassidy left. I mean, I like the show, really like Dean, and even own season four. It just isn't a priority for me. I'll get back to it eventually, but I'll probably need to rewatch 1-3. Have heard TWD is great, and I have a friend who is addicted to it. Just, yeah...not sure about it for myself.

    -tvfan332, can't sign in at the minute, so had to leave it anon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Amber Benson shouldn't have even been featured, if her return was going to last all of 2 minutes, but I've a feeling that she may pop back up again in some flashbacks, like you said.

    Thanks for stopping by tvfan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wavering on The Waking Dead last season, so I decided not to tune into it this year. It never really grabbed me, despite a couple of strong moments.

    I agree about Ringer, too, but I think you like it a little more than I do. I haven't missed it at all during this hiatus, and I'm not particularly invested in its future, either. I guess the whole show has left me a little cold.

    Great reviews, Panda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's the main difference between our 'Ringer' reviews. I see it in a much more positive light than you do.

    'The Walking Dead' is almost worth it for episodes 1 & 7, if you ever decide to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete