Ugly Betty 1.01 'Pilot'

‘Ugly Betty’s arrival couldn't have come at a better time. The cluttered land of television in 2006 was filled with beautiful, stick thin (and yeah, likable) heroines, who always got the hunk and thrived upon using their looks to get places. Betty Suarez was not that character. Taking a spin on a pretty simple straight forward idea, ‘Ugly Betty’ wiped the floor when it came to heart-felt drama, laughter inducing comedy and fish-out-of-water antics. During its first season it racked up critical acclaim, Golden Globe wins, and was basically one of the greatest shows to premiere in ages. That is, until it began to fall prey to the sophomore slump, and like so many of series have, took a dive in quality, essentially dropping what made it so great in the first place. Obviously, there’s a lot to love about the later seasons of ‘Betty, but unfortunately, they lacked so much of the heart that the early episodes had in spades, starting with the pilot.

Silvio Horta did the impossible by merging the seemingly opposing forces that were the world of the Mexican telenova and the cold harsh world of American fashion, and while it didn’t depict a scenario that was wholly accurate, it birthed a number of wonderful and lovable characters whose over the top nature managed to thrust the series into the spotlight, to gain the attention it really deserved.

The cast were one of the greatest things about ‘Ugly Betty’. Early on, America perfectly encapsulated that naive, clumsy, and adorable girl who finds herself completely out of her depth. Vanessa Williams owned Wilhelmina and created a villainess who has yet to be rivalled. Becki Newton and Michael Uri were two of the funniest supporting characters I’ve ever seen on television with some of the greatest one liners (“Killer Poncho”, “Are you de-liv-ering something?”), and Tony Plana, Ana Ortiz and Marc Indelicato all brought those likable traits to their characters that make you constantly root for team Suarez.

The pilot episode follows a pretty straight forward plot that is basically a watered down version of ‘The Devil Wears Prada’, with Betty entering the intimidating, cut throat world of MODE magazine. Filled with simple, yet effective moments of hilarity, the episode slowly won over the hearts of so many people when it premiered, and it’s so easy to see why. Who couldn’t want to see that girl getting ripped to shreds at that photo shoot not win out in the end? By marrying the ethnicity and warmth of Betty’s home life, with the over the top world of MODE, it culminated in one of the most genius ideas I’ve ever seen and drew you in by really capturing your heart with a moving and necessary story of strength of character and perseverance in the face of adversity.

Along with the usual stand-alone plots each week, with Betty struggling to cope with her new position in this completely bizarre workplace, various mysteries were on-going during the first season. The most prominent of these being the identity of the masked lady, the unveiling of who would shake up the world of MODE further down the road. Season 1 always married both these types of stories beautifully, especially early on, ensuring that not only did it give the viewer what it tuned in for, but that it kept them coming back for answers the following week.

I’m not altogether sure what kind of story ‘Betty la Fea’ followed, or whether it was basically the same thing, but even if the idea was a direct rip-off, it took a lot of hard work and creativity to transform it into something that could sit right into the primetime schedule of a big American Network like ABC.

9/10

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it at first, but, it never really grabbed me. I loved the flashier, insane storylines, especially a certain reveal in episode 13 of this season.

    I quit in season three, after it felt like Betty and her family were everywhere. Betty herself could be fun when she wasn't whining or going on about how corrupted Mode was making her, she could be really insufferable (and I can tolerate a lot, especially when I like the actor). Love America Ferrara, though. For me, I only really watched for the insanity of the supporting cast - Amanda, Alexis, and Wilhelmina in particular.

    I could never engage with it, I was pretty much watching for the stunt casting and the insanity. And even that couldn't make me finish the series.

    Them be my ramble-y and unfocused thoughts, it has been so long since I've seen Ugly Betty (and, clearly, have no intention of revisiting it, ever). I liked your review, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading tvfan :)

      I'm with you on the flashier storylines, particularly the one your referring to. The problem was it all got a bit boring after the first season, and the heart warming stuff got totally bogged down by the incredibly arduous love triangle.

      I love Amanda and Willy too, but Alexis got written into the ground, and was so underused after the first season.

      Thanks for stopping by. Will you be posting up in the near future? I'd love to read what you think of TV this season :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Panda,

    What a nice surprise to see you reviewing Ugly Betty. It's seriously one of my most favorite shows of all time! For me it was always my comfort TV show. It just transported me into such a colorful and crazy world that I absolutely loved and gave me the warmest family feeling! Whenever I was depressed or down it was seriously the best cure for me! I'm looking forward to reading your reviews as I really want to re-watch the show eventually and do the same!

    By the way, I think I'm one of the show's biggest supporters. While many criticize it for losing its quality, I actually defend it for staying consistently hilarious and entertaining throughout its entire run. While it disappointed me for the first few episodes of season 3 as I recall, I still enjoyed it and thought season 4 was an EXCELLENT final season (and really wanted it to continue). I never saw any problems with season 2 and in fact remember loving all the unexpected twists and turns. I think I always enjoyed it because Wilhelmina was ALWAYS amazing and she's one of my most favorite TV characters of all time. Simply perfect and the reason I love Vanessa Williams. (Oh, and Amanda is a close second).

    Anyways looking forward to reading your thoughts throughout! Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nadim!

      Actually, I'm glad you say that because the third season is actually quite great, I just think certain storylines dragged it down. Because it dropped the main love triangle it was able to develop rather well. Anyway, I won't say too much, I'll just wait until I post up reviews later. :)

      Delete
  3. Are you reviewing this permanently, Panda?

    I loved Ugly Betty for most of its first season, but then it just began tiring me out. I ended up disliking literally everyone besides Wilhelmina and Amanda, and it sucked that they barely had anything to do after a while. I stuck with it for a couple of seasons, but didn't watch the last one. I also developed this intense dislike for America Ferrera and her shrieky one-note performances. Weirdly, I really loved her on The Good Wife last season, so I'm assuming she just got a little tired of the character -- which makes sense, since she never really grew or evolved. I gather they gave her sort of a makeover for the final season, so maybe there was some character work there, but I had already tuned out.

    Looking forward to your reviews though, if there are more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this will be a regular feature!

      While I agree with you about the second season, re-watching the first half of the third season was actually rather enjoyable, but the second half got lost in itself completely. You should give the fourth season a go too, it's not up to par with the first season, but it's a decent improvement, and there's some bit of personality growth to go along with the makeover!

      As for America, I think she did a fine job most of the time, but the shrill voice you're talking about gets grating sometimes, but it's only a minor gripe.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete