Charmed 5.17 'Lucky Charmed'

GAG. ‘Lucky Charmed’ is the perfect example of all that had gone wrong in the ‘Charmed’ universe. From the offensively written leprechauns to Phoebe’s irritating rage towards Jason, there are very few redeemable qualities to this one.

Paige meets a leprechaun named Seamus who asks her for help in fighting a demon who is killing his kind to steal their good luck in ‘Lucky Charmed’. Phoebe continues to struggle with her new boss, Jason. Piper and Leo deal with the complications of taking care of a newborn baby.

God, I’m not actually sure where to start. Not only were some of the creatures we had met so far been slightly embarrassing, but the leprechauns pushed them into pure tortuous levels of irritation. Speaking as an Irish person, I am pretty confident when I say that the Irish impersonations and ridiculous phrases in this episode where completely off. I'm not a particularly patriotic person but I felt slightly offended as they butchered our native language. Ugh.

Like her hostility towards Cole, Phoebe’s anger towards Jason here baffled me. I have no idea what Jason did to upset her as much as he did, other than correct her work, which as an editor he is entitled to do, especially if they forget to give it a title. Really, Phoebe?! Didn’t they resolve their work issues in the previous episode anyway? Obviously her hostility was a cheap attempt at hiding the obvious attraction she felt only a week ago, but why fight your inner slut Phoebe?

One thing I will give this episode credit for is the pretty realistic depiction of a married couple trying to balance their work lives and having a newborn baby. Piper and Leo’s married life was always a little too blissful, and the introduction of conflict gave this episode something to work with, which leads appropriately into next week’s exploration of their relationship. I just wish it could have been developing earlier so it didn't feel quite so forced.

Piper and Leo aside, this episode is still a cringe inducing mess. Let’s move on before I gag again.

2/10

2 comments:

  1. Is this your lowest ever Charmed grade? Would it be spoiling things if you were to say whether any future episodes go any lower? Heh.

    Great review, and I agree with all your points. The story arcs are so half-assed, especially the predictable Jason/Phoebe thing, and the contrived Piper/Leo issues.

    I don't think it's the worst ever episode, but it's definitely in my bottom three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's worse, unfortunately =(

    ReplyDelete