Veronica Mars 1.01 'Pilot'

‘Veronica Mars’ never got the time of day. Whether it was its ratings, which were always below network average, exposure, since pretty much nobody knew this series existed, or recognition, when it was passed over due to its affiliation with other cheap inferior teen dramas. Mars deserved acceptance on all those fronts and more because despite its somewhat silly sounding premise, the show was never anything less than stellar, at least during the first two years anyway. The pilot has always been a favourite of mine, and not just because it’s where it all began, but because in so many ways, it’s the perfect first episode and it's one that most series could only ever dream of.

It’s quite obvious that the series knew exactly what direction it wanted to go with from the beginning. The pilot is evidence of a script that was so obviously given a lot of time and effort by Rob Thomas to allow viewers to see the series he had envisioned. All the dialogue is witty and precise, the characters well thought out and cast and the tone of the show painstakingly definitive.

It’s easy to see where the ‘Buffy’ comparisons come from, given the superb wit and attitude that protagonist Veronica possesses. In many ways Veronica is often superior to our favourite vampire slayer, since she was always more relatable, but maybe that was down to the absence of super powers, I don’t know. Bell was never once off her game once during the show’s 3 year run, always showcasing the major talent that in a few years she would come to receive recognition for. Veronica’s prickly exterior isn’t something she was born with, she created it out of necessity and this series takes that and breaks it down over the course of the first season making it easy to root for her as she sets out to prove her family’s innocence.

The rest of the cast were no duds either, each of them bringing a different vibe to the series, whether it’s the wisecracking bad boy charisma Jason Dohring gives Logan or the likeable qualities that Percy Daggs creates in Wallace almost all the characters were interesting and appealing in their own way. Even the background characters were a fascinating bunch. That’s something that I’ve always liked about this series; how it creates such a sense of community not just within the high school, but in Neptune itself. It’s something that 'Gilmore Girls' does in a similar manner with Stars Hollow.

The pilot showcases the shows ability to make each and every character a pivotal part of the series with small characters like Cliff whose fun persona makes Veronica’s takedown of Lamb even more fantastic to watch. The chemistry among almost all of them is undeniable and no more so than with Bell and Enrico Colantoni, who make one of the greatest father daughter pairings television has ever seen.

The series’ noir aspects weren’t what drew me to it initially but they’ve since become one of my favourite things about it, separating it from others shows of similar nature. The pilot shows just how amazingly the teen drama meshes with the dark mysteries and introduces us to the murder that we will spend a year solving and why it matters so much to Veronica. I think Lily’s death was the best story the series ever did, given the personal element that was attached for Veronica. The espionage and detective parts make this series a load of fun and they convey how seriously clever the show’s writers were.

I could easily continue these fanboy ramblings forever, but I think it’s pretty easy to see just how much I adore ‘Veronica Mars’ and what a great, and easy start it had. Full marks.

10/10

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. I never gave the show a chance although I've heard a lot of great things about it over the years. The premise just never really intrigued me. But reading your review and knowing how many similar shows we like in common, I think I must give it a shot at some point. Thank you! Will add to my list of shows to catch up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll open by saying this; I love that you are reviewing Veronica Mars! I re-watched it over the summer, and fell even more in love with the show than usual.

    My favourite thing about Veronica is how much she was shaped by the events of Lily's death. Under any other conditon, she simply wouldn't be the same character. Throughout the show, we see how complex she is - untrusting of basically everyone, only willing to make with the friend time when she can get something out of it, usually a whole bunch of steps ahead of everyone around her, fragile but with a tough exterior, and snarky to the max. I love everything about her (including her love of south park, which never fails to amuse me - her favourite movie, she references stan, calls a stoner Towelie. It makes me happy that someone on the show decided to give her great taste in tv). Also, I love the flashbacks. There's something so great about seeing how much of a normal, fairly unremarkable person Veronica was before Lily's death - worrying about dudes, pep-squad, being easily manipulated by Lily and others, conforming to peer pressure, etc.

    Amazing first season of tv, with an amazing lead, touching father/daughter relationship and a good supporting cast (watching it back, was suprised at the lack of Mac - only like four appearances).

    I like the pilot. It is a nice intro to the show, but the show continually tops it throughout the year. It is a bit flashback heavy in the middle, but it is still very good.

    Agree with pretty much everything you said, and I'm definitely looking forward to more VM reviews. I actually don't mind season three too much either, even if it is definitely a step down from the rest of the series (episodes 9, 10, and, especially the finale are more than worth it though - some of my favourites). Neptune is such a well drawn world, too - the corruption, the way the school feels very lived in, etc.

    Eh, that was super ramble-y, I apologise! I'm really looking forward to some more Ronnie reviews, though. That was a great, it'll be interesting to see where our opinions differ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadim: WATCH IT! I demand that it is put at the top of your 'to be watched' list. Thank me later ;)

    tvfan: Thanks for stopping by! I adore everything about Veronica's characterisation, she was so consistently drawn throughout the series, particularly with regards to the effect of Lily's death.

    I agree with what you said about the pilot being topped, but I think that's mostly down to how the story keeps unfolding not down to writing and script, and the pilot sets up everything amazingly. It's very difficult to think of another first episode that does that in such a fantastic way.

    I can't wait to read what you think as I post them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, especially the part about the high school community and how characters folded in and out of the show over the years. It was something Buffy never really had, which was unfortunate.

    I gotta say that I don't consider myself an intense fan of this show, though. I loved it a lot, but I thought it got increasingly weaker after its first season. But I guess that's a symptom of any show which has a strong mystery-driven opening year. The only direction from there is down.

    Of course, I haven't actually watched the show since it first aired, but I remember being really bored by the Veronica/Logan saga, even though I know it had a huge following.

    Still look back fondly on the Veronica/Keith interaction, though. I think that ranks up there among the greatest parent/child relationships on TV.

    Looking forward to more, Panda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading Adam, I'm not going to say I didn't love the idea of Veronica and Logan, and they made a lovely star crossed couple but I really hated the mound of attention it got, particularly during season 3. If I recall almost all of the third season promos were LoVe alone, and nothing else. That always annoyed me. It;s like they tried to make the show sound like the incomprehensible dribble that some perceived it to be.

    ReplyDelete